Friday, October 25, 2013

Fluent Fridays 1 - Why Will I Read Thee? I



        Judging.
It's the thing of which most of us don't like to admit we're guilty. Why? We've always been told that it's "bad" for us, that we'll end up burning in the pits of hell or something if we do it. There are signs everywhere screaming "DON'T JUDGE!!!" I mean, we do it anyway and we know that every body else does it but we always act like we don't which is ridiculous. Well today, I have a confession to make...


The truth is, I judge a lot. Like, a lot; the amount of judging that demands the underlining of the words 'a lot'. If I didn't, there are a lot of books that I probably would have never read. Which brings me to ask the question - What motivates us to pick up certain books but not others?

For me, it's most often the cover of a book that's luring. It took me a while to realize that I judged books by their covers, though; It was such a shocking revelation! "What? I do this?!?!?" After contemplating whether or not to change this "bad" habit, I decided to pay more attention to it instead. What I found out was this:

I'm particularly fond of hardcover books with girls wearing flowing dresses featured on the cover. Which I find kind of weird... because it's so random? I don't know, it's just weird to me. What's weirder is the fact that more than half of every book I pick up was the same thing: girl, in flowing dress, flowing hair, dark atmosphere.

   


Furthermore, if there's a girl on the cover (or any body parts that suggests it's a girl), I will read it. No flowing anything required.
    

Seriously, my read list has been invaded by girls! Or more specifically, kick-ass chicks who don't know when to give up. And why am I so attracted to such covers? It's more than just "Oooh! It's so pretty!" (Although there is that, too). It's the power of femininity. I'm intrigued by it. I want to read about it and experience it every chance I get. We live on a world that's too crowded with males here and males there (I feel). We don't hear enough about women who did something that meant something even though they exist. And that, my friends, 'erks' me to the point where I have to go find such stories elsewhere.

Maybe it's a really unusual reason for deciding to read a book? But for me, this is how it starts: with the promise of the importance of a female role. And dresses. Lots and lots of dresses.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...