Friday, November 8, 2013

Fluent Fridays 2 - Picking Favorites


"What's your favorite book/series/author/etc?"

One of the hardest things about being a reader, I think, is having to pick favorites. Favorite books, favorite authors, covers, characters, etc.

I chose to briefly discuss the cruel concept of having to pick favorites because of the currently running Goodreads Choice Awards 2013.


What makes it hard to pick who or what I love most about books? I think it's because there are so many options out there; we are surrounded by literature, and when we think we've fallen in love with one, a new book comes out and blows us all away!

For the longest time, I didn't have any novels that I would do anything to get my hands on. I mean, I (really really) liked a lot of them, re-read some of them a couple of times, but nothing ever err stirred my blood? o.o' That is, until I read a certain title called The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. And then I read and re-read and re-read and re-read Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes in one sitting. Immediately after, I discovered The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. All in the timeframe of a couple of months.

  

When it comes to series, I've fallen for so many this year. I'm obsessed, addicted, and consumed by the series and, by default, their authors:

The Raven Cycle
by Maggie Stiefvater

1 - The Raven Boys
2 - The Dream Thieves

I've lost count of how many times I've read The Raven Boys while I was waiting for The Dream Thieves to come out. And now I own the second Raven Cycle title which is signed and doodled on by Stiefvater herself!

Book 3 comes out sometime in 2014. Book 4? 2015. Which is not OK at all.
INEEDMOREGANSEYANDRONANANDBLUEINMYLIFE!!!


Throne of Glass

2 - Crown of Midnight (THE TWISTS)

Sarah J. Maas is a tremendously wonderful writer. And if you have never heard of or read this series yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE? BUY THEM BOTH NAO!!

Books 3-6 come out from 2014-2017. TT.TT


The Selection

2 - The Elite (Be prepared...)
3 - The One (May 6th, 2014)

Kiera Cass puts an interesting twist on the classic story of Cinderella. She is also a funny author who likes to connect (a lot) with her readers.


The Chronicles of Elantra

10 - Cast in Flame (2014)

There's already 9 books out (with one expected to be published in 2014) and yet the story has JUST BEGUN. I own title 8, Cast in Peril ^^ but still haven't read title 9, Cast in Sorrow. Not by choice!


The Undead


Vanpires and werewolves and all things that go bump in the night... This series is hilarious, bloody, and dirty. But mostly, it's hilarious and I love it all!



So would I say that these are my favorite books/series of all time? Yes but no. I feel like the term "favorite" is too limited. I am infatuated with the titles listed, but there are so many others that I will never forget and will never 'get over' because it's hard. And most of all, I don't want to have to pick this over that.

Why can't other people get that? Why do they expect me to have one that I prefer above all others? e.e 

Stop asking me that question.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...